March 27, 2020
WHAT IS COCHLEAR IMPLANT?
A complex, small device that can provide sense of sound to someone who had severe hard of hearing & profoundly deaf.
This device need to be install in 2 ways:
- One part which is the processor need to be placed behind the ear
- Second part need to be surgically placed under the skin
Cochlear implant consist 4 basic components:
- Microphone : pick up sound from environment
- Speech processor – select & arrange sound picked up by mic
- Transmitter & rec/ stimulator – receive signal from speech processor & convert to electrical impulse
- Electrode array – A bunch of electrode that collect impulse & send to auditory nerve